Happy Independence Day! I hope you’re enjoying the holiday. I’m have plans to head to the beach and maybe grill up some burgers and dogs in the afternoon. If you’re looking for a quick, festive dessert to bring to a BBQ, try this sweet and creamy raspberry ice cream pie – there’s absolutely no baking involved. And who can resist a homemade graham cracker crust? ;)
Raspberry Ice Cream Pie (adapted from this recipe)
- 1 package raspberry Jell-O
- 1.5 qt. vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 package fresh raspberries
- 1 package fresh blueberries (optional – I added them for a festive touch!)
- 8-12 graham crackers (I used Trader Joe’s Cinnamon Grahams)
- 6 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp. sugar (omit if using sugared graham crackers)
- Make graham cracker crust by crushing the graham crackers in a large bowl (I used the bottom of a glass). Add the softened butter and mix until mixture is no longer sandy. Press into an 8″ cake round with the back of a spoon, making sure to cover the bottom and sides of the pan with a thick layer. Refrigerate crust for at least 15 minutes while preparing the filling.
- In a large bowl, add 2 cups boiling water to the package of raspberry Jell-O. Stir until dissolved (about 30 seconds). Then, quickly add the softened ice cream to the mixture, stirring until smooth. This process will be easier if you soften the ice cream beforehand and make sure to add when the water is still very hot.
- Carefully pour ice cream mixture into pan, filling all the way to the very top. Freeze for about 30 minutes and then add the fresh berries to the top of the pie. Put back in the freezer for at least 2 hours before serving.