Happy Sunday! It’s the end of the weekend, when all the hustle and bustle of Saturday has come and gone and all you want to do is curl up on the couch and binge-watch Netflix in your pajamas. Preferably with something delicious baking in the oven. My favorite comfort food of all time is chicken pot pie. It’s so hearty and homey and has PIE in the name. I mean, come on. Do I really need to convince you further? It’s cold and wintery outside and you need something warm and delicious in your belly.
Chicken Pot Pie
Adapted from Pillsbury
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups shredded par-boiled chicken
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 box refrigerated pie crusts
- Heat oven to 425°F. Make pie crusts as directed on box using 9-inch glass pie pan.
- In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened.
- Microwave chopped and peeled potato for 2 minutes, or until the potato is soft enough to easily pierce with a fork.
- Stir in chicken, mixed vegetables, and potato. Remove from heat. Spoon chicken mixture into crust-lined pan. Top with second crust; seal edge and flute. Cut slits in several places in top crust.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Pro tip: During last 15 to 20 minutes of baking, cover crust edge with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
P.S. Meghan made this pie for me on my birthday, so it has a really special place in my heart (and stomach).